What qualifications do you need?
We offer two entry routes into the programmes, so if you do not meet the academic requirements you may still be eligible to apply through an alternative route.
Entry Route 1 (MSc/PGDip/PGCert) and individual modules
To be eligible to register for any of the Data Science programmes, you must have the following:
- A bachelor’s degree (or an acceptable equivalent) in a relevant subject which is considered at least comparable to a UK second class honours degree, from an institution acceptable to the University.
- Previous degrees should normally include a sufficient level of programming such as Python detailed in your transcript. Whilst other degrees such as Engineering and Mathematics will be considered on a case by case basis.
- If we consider your previous degree as non-relevant then we will request you take our MOOC, Foundations of Data Science: K-means Clustering in Python, before you start our Data Science programme. This MOOC requires approximately 30 hours of study.
Entry Route 2 (MSc/PGDip/PGCert) and individual modules
- A bachelor’s degree (or an acceptable equivalent) in any subject which is considered at least comparable to a UK second class honours degree, from an institution acceptable to the University.
- In addition to the above, you will be required to complete an online preparatory course prior to registration. The online preparatory course, Foundations of Data Science: K-Means Clustering in Python, requires approximately 30 hours of study.
English Language requirements
You need a high standard of English to study this programme. You will meet our language requirements if you have achieved one of the following within the past three years:
- IELTS: at least 6.5 overall, with 6.0 in the written test.
- TOEFL iBT: at least 92 overall, with 22+ in reading and writing and 20+ in speaking and listening.
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English.
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (at grade C or above)
- Duolingo: must achieve an overall score of at least 120.
Alternatively, you may satisfy the language requirements if you have at least 18 months of education or work experience conducted in English.
As this is a technical degree, you will need regular access to a computer with an internet connection and a minimum screen resolution of 1024x768. You will also need Adobe Flash Player to view video material and a media player (such as VLC) to play video files.